Monday, February 21, 2005

Weaving Lives Together

One of the benefits of spending days with young children and running around to activities is that there is a lot of opportunity to roll ideas around, contemplate them, and organize my thoughts. A lot of pre-writing time happens then. Last week, I spent contemplating how to weave my lives together, how to meet my new goals/success measurements.

The master task list concept that Michael Hyatt posted a couple weeks ago is something I've always associated with the business world and is a technique I've used quite successfully. It finally dawned on me (DUH!) that I should incorporate the same technique to my new priorities and focuses. There is no reason why the priniciples that I use in the work world shouldn't be adapted and applied in the personal world. (So I'm a little dense...)

My other big insight for the week is that the only way I'm actually going to accomplish somethings is by taking them in small chunks and then continually work on them. (Coincidently my dear friend Lesley had a similar insight this week.)

Take my websites for instance - they aren't posted yet, because they aren't completed yet - at least to my vision of perfection. In reality, I just need to get them out there and then continue to refine and build upon them. After years of having to submit perfect and complete deliverables, publishing small pieces at a time is a new concept for me.

So, I start a new week drawing another line in the sand and moving forward. The goal is to weave my two lives (personal and professional) together, stay in alignment, and move toward my goals. I can do this.

Quote of the Day

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8