Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Returning to Self

I'm wondering today what it was that caused me to give up the simple pleasures of life. A bowl of grapes, fresh fruit, steamed vegetables, sparkling water mixed with juice, a cup of mocha, handfuls of magazines.

Tonight I sit at the kitchen table enjoying a treat - a large bowl of sweet grapes, vanilla Yopliat custard-style yogurt, and soon a tall glass of ice water. In front of me are three new magazines, fresh from the magazine stand at the grocery store. A few quiet moments allowed me snack on grapes, puruse the magazines as my husband read to my daughter.

In these simple things I am restored, mentally relaxed, and ready to go again. So why did I stop this? Oh yeah, money. It was less expensive to forgo these pleasures, or so it seemed. Now I'm not so sure that the short-term savings was really worth it. I enjoy my fruit and magazines, and my mental and physical health is better for it. And so is my family.