Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Creating a Haven - One Step at a Time

The concept that a home can be inviting, comfortable, a place where stress and worries melt away when you walk in the door, first hit me a few years ago. I went over to a co-workers house and instantly felt everything melt away. She turned her home into a haven.

It was such a shock to walk back into the stark contrast of my own home that day. Over the years, whenever I’m in a home that felt inviting and pretty, I’ve tried to figure out what touches make the difference – it’s not the furniture or the beautiful things, but instead the small personal touches (and lack of clutter).

Recently I read a article by Beth Dargis on how to make your bedroom a haven. What a thought! My bedroom is stacked with boxes to be sorted. Oh but the idea!

So I’ve set out once again to create pretty spaces, to make our home more inviting and comfortable for others to visit and for my husband to come home to. I may not be able to control how the others in my household adhere to attempts to organize and de-clutter, but I can at least create pockets of pretty spaces. After all a journey is not made in leaps, but one step at a time.


>>>>Quotes of the Day>>>>

“The wise woman builds her house but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.” – Proverbs 14:1 NIV

“In the stillness we can bring out that which we think we are too busy to experience.” – Kathy Srabian, intuitive consultant